Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Ghost in Disneyland

Beauty and the Beast, I think I could comfortably say is my favorite Classic Disney film. The estate was just gorgeous, but of course I would think that of a brooding mansion crawling with gargoyles.

That was the movie I’d watch over and over, don’t we all have that as a kid? I’d watch it until the credits rolled. It was that film I discovered that when you center yourself and focus on those credits, imagining the room is moving rather than the words, it creates the optical illusion of being on an elevator. Isn’t that fun?
Anyway, for the past few months I had been pondering what I might look like rendered as a Disney princess; being the near antithesis of a typical Disney princess. So I combined their various features and distinct stylization with my wardrobe, and voila:



Princess Ghost! I included my cat, Wonton, because they always have some sort of mischievous, right-hand animal. Right now it’s sort of at a “coloring book stage;” hand-drawn and raw. I’d like to paint a background using photoshop, I found the perfect tutorial in a back issue of Advanced Photoshop (which by the way, if you purchase one of their thicker magazines, you pretty much have a year’s subscription because they always circulate around the same artists). So I’ll probably go in and illustrate a typical location I’d skulk around: an old warehouse, graveyard, or a rotting house perhaps—the usual. And of course clean up the lines a bit and add color.
I’m considering a villain version as well, one with sharper features and a sinister scowl. You know, to balance of good and evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment